There are 17 reservoirs and 9 irrigation reservoirs in Hong Kong. Starting from 21 April 2022, they will be open all year round to the public. Any person who would like to fish in the reservoirs may apply for a fishing licence from the Water Supplies Department. Applications are accepted throughout the year. The licence will be valid for 3 years and the fee is HK$33. To apply for the licence, you must be over 13. There is no restriction on the number of fishing licences to be issued each year.
Application for fishing licence can be made by the following means:
You should bring along your proof of identity (identity card or passport) when making application at the following Customer Enquiry Centres:
After receipt of your completed application form, we will issue a demand note to you. You may bring along the demand note to pay the licence fee at any post office, 7-Eleven Convenience Store, Circle K Convenience Store, VanGO Convenience Store or China Resources Vanguard Supermarket. You may choose to collect the licence in person at the above Centres, or receive the licence by surface mail.
- Wan Chai Customer Enquiry Centre
- Tai Kok Tsui Customer Enquiry Centre
You can also submit your application
to the Water Supplies Department. The application should include a completed application form, copy of proof of identity, a cheque of HK$33 and a self-addressed envelope. The cheque should be crossed and made payable to the "The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region". Please ensure sufficient mailing time and postage to make delivery in order. Underpaid mail will be rejected. The licence will be sent to you by surface mail.
|Other than visiting our Customer Enquiry Centre or by post, you can apply for fishing licence conveniently online. The licence will be sent to you by surface mail.
Anglers, however, are requested to observe the followings :-
- The licence holder is allowed to enter and remain in the reservoir area on the understanding that he/she does so entirely at his/her own risk. He/She must take the land with everything thereon as he/she finds it and shall not have or make any claim for damage to or loss of property, personal injury or death against the Water Authority howsoever such damage to or loss of property, personal injury or death may be occasioned.
- The licence is for the use of one rod and line only, and is not transferable.
- The licence must be produced on demand by a police officer or other authorized officer.
- Licences will not be issued to any person under the age of 13.
- The use of nets or other appliances (apart from rod and line) or the use of explosive or toxic substances to catch or destroy fish is strictly prohibited.
- The use of boats, dinghies, rafts etc. for fishing is prohibited.
- Except the "exempted fish", all Black Bass under 360 mm, all Snakehead under 300 mm and all other fish species under 180 mm in length measured from tip of nose to fork of tail shall be immediately returned alive to the water.
- Except the "exempted fish", not more than two Black Bass 360 mm or over and two Snakehead 300 mm or over and two numbers of each species 180 mm or over in length for any other fish species shall be retained by any one angler in one day.
- The licence may later be revoked and replaced by another on different terms.
- Please keep the licence intact. No copy will be issued on any loss or damage.
Apart from the above, anglers are also reminded that:
- To protect fish, birds and people from lead poisoning, anglers are prohibited to use lead fishing sinkers.
- The release of any animals, including fish and reptiles, into reservoirs without the prior permission of the Water Authority is prohibited.
- Do not litter or pollute the reservoirs.